I love this quick and easy eel rice bowl (aka unagi donburi). It is a very inexpensive dish that you can make for your weekly meal prep that is healthy and delicious all week long. This is usually prepared with white rice, but you ca substitute it with brown or purple rice to make it even yummier and healthier. Here’s how.
- 2 fillets eel (approximately 5.6 oz)
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup mirin
- 2½ Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1½ Tbsp sake
- Combine the mirin and sake in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil to evaporate the alcohol.
- Add sugar and stir until sugar is completely mixed.
- Add soy sauce and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and continue cooking on simmer for 10 minutes, or until thicken. Turn off the heat to cool it down.
- Preheat your oven to broil at 550F for 3 minutes.
- Cut the eel in half.
- Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil and brush oil lightly and place the eel on top.
- Put the baking sheet in the middle rack of your oven, and broil on high for 5-7 minutes (no need to flip).
- After 7 minutes or so, take it out and brush the eel sauce over.
- Continue to broil for another 30 seconds to 60 seconds until you see bubbles on top of the eel.
- Serve purple or brown rice in a bowl and pour or brush eel sauce on the rice.
- Serve the eel on top of rice and pour/brush more eel Sauce.