Making reservations at Tar & Rose in Santa Monica can take up to weeks if not months. I remember when I wanted to make Valentine’s Day reservations at T&R, I had to do it around the holidays, months before. This is definitely a foodie’s dream. The dishes are family tapa-style. All dishes are meant to be shared, so you will definitely to get to sample a lot of dishes and taste the chef’s creativity. The menu is always changing. However, one of my favorite staple dish is the oxtail dumpling. So instead of waiting weeks before you can enjoy this dish, recreate this dish in the comfort of your home.
- 1 pound of oxtail (4 pieces of oxtail)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
1 celery (chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 can of whole tomatoes (540 ml)
- 1/2 bottle of red wine
- 4 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 can of organic tomato paste
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme -tie the bundle with a string
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of organic beef broth
- 2 teaspoon of organic extra virgin olive oil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- A bunch of parsley
- 1 package of 25 – 30 wonton wrappers
- Season the oxtail with salt and pepper.
- Brown the oxtail in a pot with some oil.
- Remove the oxtail from the pot and set aside.
- Using the same pot, cook the onions, garlic, carrots and celery, followed by the tomato paste.
- Add the oxtail back into the pot, followed by the red wine, water and beef broth.
- Add in the bay leaves and the thyme. Add a pinch of salt.
- Cook on slow for 4-5 hours.
- Remove the meat from the oxtail.
- Add in a few spoon full of the vegetables from the pot and add in fresh parsley. Let the mixture cool.
- Add in 2 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and taste. Adjust with more salt or pepper if needed. Feel free to add an egg instead of oil.
- Pulse the ingredients in a food processor.
- Add half a teaspoon of the mixture into a wonton wrapper.
- Wetting all sides of the wonton with water, add the top layer of the wonton and squeeze out as much air pockets.
- Add the wonton to the broth or a pot of boiling water.
- As the inside is cooked, the wonton cooks in a few minutes or when the sides start to become translucent.
- Take the dumplings out of the broth and plate for serving.