Summer is going to be sweet! I guarantee it! Treats like tres leches cake, banana bread, chocolate chip cookies, honey mustard pork chops, and Fourth of July-related flag cakes were all big this past week. Plus, it’s positively raspberry and zucchini season because searches for these terms (including misspellings!) also soared. Here’s a look at what home cooks are making the last week of June.
- Honey Mustard Pork Chops was the top new recipe in the past week
|Honey Mustard Pork Chops for stovetop or the grill (photo by AuntE)|
- Tres Leches (Milk Cake) had the biggest increase in page views
|Tres Leches Cake, perfect with summer fruit (photo by jonny's girl)|
Other highly viewed recipes included Best Chocolate Chip Cookies, The Best Meatballs, Stars and Stripes Grand Finale Cake (an Allrecipes newsletter star), Banana Banana Bread, and Flag Cake (also a featured newsletter recipe).
|Flag Cake ready for the Fourth! (photo by Nadina)|
- Chef John’s Banana Bread had the biggest increase in prints
|Chef John's Banana Bread ready to eat! (photo by Susan)|
Additional recipes that made home cooks hit the Print button included Best Chocolate Chip Cookies, World’s Best Lasagna, Banana Banana Bread, Easy Meatloaf and Sweet Restaurant Slaw.
- Cherry Crisp had the biggest increase in saves, most certainly because it was featured in a baking newsletter
|Cherry Crisp (photo by Christina)|
Other popular saved recipes followed the pattern of the most printed recipes, and included Chef John’s Banana Bread, Best Chocolate Chip Cookies, Authentic German Potato Salad, Secret Sauce Chicken and Grilled Five-Spice Chicken.
|Authentic German Potato Salad (photo by Dianne)|
When I looked at the week’s top search terms, there were some surprises. Trifle? Is everyone getting in a British dessert groove because the Summer Olympics are coming? Maybe it's just because of the summer berry bonanza going on now. Cooks were also searching for camping recipes, how to microwave corn-on-the-cob and yes, zucchini. (I never knew there were so many ways to spell zucchini!)
- External searches for trifle recipes exploded last week, jumping more than 200% week over week
- Other popular search terms driving traffic to Allrecipes included microwave corn on the cob, marshmallow fondant (and regular fondant), dinner recipes and camping recipes
- Both raspberries and zucchini were among the week’s fastest growing internal search terms with searches for raspberries, raspberry, zucchini, zucchini bread and “zuccini “all among the top 10 (That’s an exact spelling – kid you not!)
- Other popular internal search terms included tomato pie, chicken piccata, Indian, stuffed jalapeño firecrackers and trifle
|Strawberry Trifle Recipe - the perfect summer dessert (photo by chachachica)|
Here’s a fun bonus! Figs and kohlrabi were two unexpected additions to the fastest growing year-over-year terms within Allrecipes.com. (I had to look up “kohlrabi” to learn it’s in the turnip family and a great veg to add to stir-fry dishes. Mmmm!)
Summer favorites star in Allrecipes’ video line-up, too! The week’s top new video was Old-Fashioned Potato Salad, based on the most average plays per day the week after release. Other top performers include:
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake - top video for overall video page views
- How To Grill Steaks - top video for page views, excluding all featured videos
- Chef John’s Banana Bread - top video referred directly from a search engine
Have an awesome Fourth! Posted by Matt Decuir, Business Analysis